The Ladybugs are an American traditional jazz band based in New York City. Initially founded by vocalist Martina DaSilva, the group eventually integrated additional vocals by Kate Davis and later Venessa Perea. The band is known for its unique instrumentation—the vocalists double on snare drum and ukulele and are supported by dual trombones, bass and guitar. The group’s musical repertoire is largely determined by DaSilva and Perea and draws upon songs from early jazz and the american songbook as well as more contemporary pieces arranged for a traditional jazz aesthetic.
During her education at The New School for Jazz and Contemporary Music, DaSilva worked as a vocalist throughout the greater New York City area. While substituting for another vocalist at the Hotel Chantelle in New York City’s Lower East Side in 2013, DaSilva became acquainted with the venue’s manager, who inquired if she had a band of her own that could perform at the venue on Sundays. Although she had no such group at the time, she responded that she lead an ‘’all-female 1920’s band’’ named "The Ladybugs.” DaSilva set about assembling a group which initially included vocalist Kate Davis. The duo augmented performances by respectively doubling on snare drum and ukulele and eventually integrated trombonists Joe McDonough and Rob Edwards as well as performers, including guitarist Gabe Schnider, saxophonist Eddie Barbash, bassist Dylan Shamat, and others.
Kate Davis eventually left the group and was replaced by vocalist Vanessa Perea. The group began to incorporate repertoire reflecting DaSilva’s Brazilian heritage and Perea’s Cuban-Colombian heritage during this time.
The group performs regularly throughout the United States as well internationally. They have been featured on NPR’s Jazz Night In America.
As The Ladybugs
|Songs We Love: Volume 1||2019||Independent|
|Russell Hall||The Feeling of Romance||2019||Independent|
- Bourne, Michael. "The Ladybugs Celebrate Notes and Tones at Hudson County Community College". WBGO. Retrieved 2020-01-12.
- Friedwald, Will. "The Compositions of Charlie Parker, and the Ladybugs Sing". wsj.com. Retrieved 2020-01-14.
- "The Ladybugs Do Disney". NPR. Retrieved 2020-01-12.
- Alvarez, Tom. "ROLLICKING ENERGY PERVADES THE PALLADIUM DURING PMJ CONCERT". Retrieved 2020-01-11.
- Baker, Derek. "It Was A September To Remember with Postmodern Jukebox". Retrieved 2020-01-11.
- Bailey, Michael. "Martina DaSilva: A Very Chimytina Christmas". Retrieved 2020-01-11.
- "NYC Singer-Songwriter Kate Davis Releases Crushing, Soaring Single "rbbts"". Retrieved 2020-01-13.
- Lorge, Suzanne. "Eponymous: The Ladybugs" (PDF). Retrieved 2020-01-12.