The Great Father
The Great Father is a 2017 Indian Malayalam language thriller film directed by Haneef Adeni and produced by Prithviraj Sukumaran, Arya, Santhosh Sivan, and Shaji Nadesan under the banner of August Cinema. It stars Mammootty in the lead role as David Nainan and Arya, Sneha, and Shaam in supporting roles. The original release date of 25 December 2016 was postponed to 30 March 2017. A dubbed version in Hindi, entitled Dashing Jiggarwala, was also released.
Samuel (Shaam) is a police officer investigating the crimes of serial child abuse and murder. He receives a phone call from a child abuser who calls himself "Joker". Samuel tracks his location, goes to his place, and is killed by the Joker.
The cases are picked up by Officer Andrews Eappan (Arya), from the Crime Investigation Department (CBCID). The story then shifts to Sarah David (Anikha), a 10-year-old girl whose hero is her father David Nainan (Mammootty), a well known builder.
One day when he returns home from his office, he finds Sarah lying unconscious after being brutally raped. Shattered, he takes her to the hospital where his wife, Dr. Michelle David (Sneha), works. After recovering, Sarah reveals that it was Joker who attacked her. An enraged David and Michelle decide to find and kill him to protect other girls.
Nainan starts his own investigation independent of the police, causing Eapen to become suspicious. He discovers that Nainan's daughter was one of the Joker's victims, and aggressively questions her at home while he is away. Nainan warns Eapan off for upsetting his daughter. Both of them start receiving calls from the Joker, and compete as to who will find and get to the Joker first. The Joker attacks Eapan and Nainan who manages to overpower and kill him.
After, when Eapan asks Nainan who the Joker was, Nainan tells him that it was James, who was working in his office. Eapan admits to having wanted to kill Joker too.
- Mammootty as David Nainan
- Arya as Andrews Eapen, Officer from CBCID
- Sneha as Michelle David
- Anikha as Sarah David, daughter of David Nainan and Michelle David
- Shaam as Samuel
- Malavika Mohanan as Andrews Eappan's Assistant
- Miya George as Dr.Susan
- Kalabhavan Shajon as Sathyan
- Santhosh Keezhatoor as James/The Joker (dubbed by music director George Peter)
- I.M Vijayan as Anto
- Balaji Sharma as Jose
- Sunil Sukhada as Principal
- Dr. Rony Davis as Franco
- Prajod Kalabhavan as Johny
- Aneesh G Menon
- Sohan Seenulal as Gokul
- Shaji Nadesan as Joby
- Anup Pazhayakada
- Deepak Parambol as ACP Shafeer
- Aaryan Krishna Menon
- Anu Joseph
- Baiju V.K.
- Molly Kannamaly
On 19 August 2016, actor Mammootty shared the first look poster of the film on his Facebook profile. The film was produced by Prithviraj Sukumaran, Arya, Santosh Sivan, and Shaji Nadesan under the banner of August Cinema. South Indian actress Sneha plays the female lead. Although it was originally thought Sara Arjun would be acting as Sara, the daughter, Anikha was eventually cast in that role.
On 4 September 2016, principal photography began in Wagamon, Kochi, with other shooting locations including Thrissur. Producer-actor Arya also plays a leading police role in the film. The actor himself released a teaser on 10 February. The songs were composed by Gopi Sunder and the background score was composed by Sushin Shyam.
Deepa Soman of The Times of India wrote "The Great Father is worth your money for its daddy-daughter moments and a timely plot rating the film 3 out of 5 stars. If only every wronged woman had a hero for a father… you might wish as the end credits roll…," and praised Mammootty, saying: "Mammootty is suave and the thriller heavily banks on his evergreen good looks." The reviewer from Sify said the film comes heavily packed with enough masala for the masses. Mammootty succeeds in raising the mercury levels with his million dollar looks and his hardcore fans would be delighted for sure."
The Indian Express' Muhammed Hashique described this family thriller by a debut director as "watchable" fare "but don’t get your expectations high!"
The film released in 202 screens in Kerala.
- "Mammootty's the Great Father becomes fastest Malayalam film to rake in Rs 20 cr". India Today. 4 April 2017.
- "Kerala box office: Mammootty's The Great Father beats Mohanlal's Pulimurugan opening day collection". International Business Times. 31 March 2017.
- "TV Serial & New Episodes On – Latest News, Photos & Videos". The Times of India.
- Mammootty-Prithviraj Sukumaran's 'The Great Father' first-look poster out (PHOTO). Ibtimes.co.in (20 August 2016). Retrieved on 7 October 2017.
- Sidhardhan , Sanjith (27 January 2017) the great father: Mammootty's next titled The Great Father. Times of India. Retrieved on 7 October 2017.
- Mammootty's The Great Father gets a release date?. Ibtimes.co.in (20 September 2016). Retrieved on 7 October 2017.
- "Mammootty begins shooting for his fifth film of the year, The Great Father". Firstpost. 7 September 2016.
- Soman, Deepa (31 March 2017). "The Great Father Movie Review: The Great Father is worth your money for its daddy-daughter moments and a timely plot". The Times of India. Retrieved 31 March 2017.
- Moviebuzz (31 March 2017). "The Great Father review: Strictly for Mammootty die-hard fans". Sify. Retrieved 31 March 2017.
- Hashique, Muhammed (31 March 2017). "The Great Father movie review: Mammootty film is all sound, no fury". The Indian Express. Retrieved 31 March 2017.
- "The industry is undergoing a very difficult process of redefining itself: Director B Unni Krishnan". The Times of India. 30 December 2017. Retrieved 30 August 2018.
- "10 Malayalam movies which made 2017 memorable". The Indian Express. 26 December 2017. Retrieved 30 August 2018.
- "The Greater Father". Box Office Mojo. 24 April 2017. Retrieved 30 August 2018.