Stuart Reid (children's book author)
Stuart Reid is a Scottish writer and the author of the Gorgeous George series of children's books.
Reid lived in Dubai for two years, working as a manager for the Premier Inn hotel chain. He managed the chain's first hotel outside Britain, a 300-room hotel in Dubai. In 2009 Reid decided to return to Scotland with a plan to make a living writing books for children.
Reid's first book Gorgeous George and the Giant Geriatric Generator, was released in 2011. It is the story of a fictitious town where people go missing, and the main character sets out to find them. Giant Geriatric Generator was illustrated by Calvin Innes.
Innes, then still a student at university, decided not only to illustrate the book but to found a publishing company, My Little Big Town (MLBT), to publish it. The Company was launched in 2011 at the Enterprise Centre of Hull University.
Reid actively promotes his books by speaking at schools and children's events, and has performed at schools in Dubai, Hong Kong and Australia. According to the Advertiser newspaper in Adelaide, Australia, Reid "has found a clever way to sell more books" by traveling the festival circuit doing funny talks about books and writing for kids. He has appeared at the Edinburgh Fringe and the Adelaide Fringe Festival.
Reid lives near Falkirk with his wife and their two daughters.
Gorgeous George books
- Gorgeous George and the Giant Geriatric Generator (2011) Published by My Little Big Town
- Gorgeous George and the Giant Geriatric Generator (2015) Published by Gorgeous Garage Publishing
- Gorgeous George and the Zigzag Zit-faced Zombies Published by Gorgeous Garage Publishing
- Gorgeous George and the Unidentified Unsinkable Underpants Part 1 Published by Gorgeous Garage Publishing
- Gorgeous George and the Unidentified Unsinkable Underpants Part 2 Published by Gorgeous Garage Publishing
- Gorgeous George and his Stupid Stinky Stories Published by Gorgeous Garage Publishing
- Gorgeous George and the Jumbo Jobby Juicer (2017) Published by Gorgeous Garage Publishing
- Gorgeous George and the Timewarp Trouser Trumpets Published by Gorgeous Garage Publishing
- Gorgeous George and the Incredible Iron-Bru-Man Incident Due for release on 20th July 2019
- "Ex-Dubai resident writing his own success story". 7days. 10 October 2015.
- Croce, Marie (8 December 2014). "Ex-pat ditched sunny Dubai for soggy diapers when he returned home to Scotland to write kids books". Daily Record (Scotland). Retrieved 24 May 2019.
- Wright, Emma (4 June 2012). "I've made a living out of my doodling: Author and illustrator to hold book signing in city centre". Hull Daily Mail.
- Lea, Catherine (26 October 2012). "'Huge risk' paying off for illustrator's publishing company: HULL: Turnover predicted to top Pounds 1m in second year". Hull Daily Mail.
- "Pupils set for visit from top Scots author (Reid)". Evening Times. 11 September 2012.
- "School closures 'for pupils' health', but some parents still unhappy". South China Morning Post. 7 February 2018. Retrieved 4 June 2019.
- Piddie, Clare (20 February 2019). "The 'Tiser Fringe Adviser". The Advertiser (Adelaide).
- "Edinburgh Fringe: We sent four kids out to review shows". STV News. Retrieved 24 May 2019.