Shyheim "Shy" Devonte Tuttle (born October 20, 1995) is an American football defensive tackle for the New Orleans Saints of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Tennessee.
Early life and high school
Tuttle grew up in Midway, North Carolina and attended North Davidson High School where he was a member of the basketball, football and track and field teams. He made 315 career tackles, 66 tackles for loss and 35 sacks as a four-year starter for the Black Knights and was named All-Northwest North Carolina in each of his final three seasons and was played in the 2015 Under Armour All-American Game.
Tuttle played four seasons for the Tennessee Volunteers. His freshman season was cut short after only six games, recording ten tackles and a fumble recovery, after suffering a broken fibula and tearing a ligament in his ankle against Georgia. Tuttle's sophomore year also ended prematurely when he sustained a season-ending injury in his first career start against South Carolina. In his junior season, Tuttle played in ten games (four starts) and made 27 tackles (2.5 for loss). As a senior, he started all 12 of Tennessee's games and made 33 tackles (2.5 for loss) with one sack, an interception and two blocked kicks.
Tuttle signed with the New Orleans Saints as an undrafted free agent on April 27, 2019. He made his NFL debut September 9, 2019, starting the season opener against the Houston Texans and recorded a combined sack of Deshaun Watson.
Tuttle is the nephew of former Clemson, NFL and CFL wide receiver Perry Tuttle.
- Ramey, Grant (January 15, 2015). "Shy Tuttle getting comfortable as early enrollee". The Daily Times. Retrieved September 12, 2019.
- "Vols DT Shy Tuttle out for rest of season with leg injuries". FoxSports.com. October 13, 2015. Retrieved September 9, 2019.
- Griffith, Mike (November 7, 2017). "Tennessee's Shy Tuttle overcomes 2 season-ending knee injuries to match career-high numbers". Dayton Daily News. Retrieved September 9, 2019.
- Morgan, Blake (March 26, 2018). "Healthy Shy Tuttle has opportunity to finally reach his potential at Tennessee". TheBoneOnline.com. Retrieved September 9, 2019.
- Duprez, Mike (April 30, 2019). "Tuttle signs with Saints". The Dispatch. Retrieved September 9, 2019.
- Prather, Scott (April 29, 2019). "Saints 2019 Undrafted Free Agent". ESPN1420.com. Retrieved September 9, 2019.
- Nief, Sean (September 10, 2019). "The New Orleans Saints pass rush was a difference maker against the Texans". WhoDatDish.com. FanSided. Retrieved September 10, 2019.
- Elliott, Bud (March 6, 2014). "Shy Tuttle recruit scouting report: Nimble North Carolina defensive tackle". SBNation.com. Retrieved September 10, 2019.