Pressbooks is an open source content management system designed for creating books. It is based on WordPress, and can export content in many formats for ebooks, webbooks or print.
Pressbooks is developed by Book Oven, Inc., a Montréal-based company founded in 2011 by Hugh McGuire (who also founded the audio book platform LibriVox).    Originally aimed at self-publishing authors, in 2017 Pressbooks shifted its focus to work with universities on academic and textbook publishing. 
The software is built on WordPress Multisite with modification of the admin and reader interfaces to reflect the intention of authoring books, a choice of themes for formating books, and to allow the export of books in print-ready PDF, mobi, ePub, and many other open formats. It is available as a hosted service for self-publishers (pressbooks.com), supported institutional hosting (PressbooksEdu), third party hosts, or self-hosting of the software available from pressbooks.org.
Pressbooks is often used to create open textbooks and other forms of open educational resource, for example at the following institutions:
- University of Hawaii 
- University of California, Berkeley 
- eCampusOntario 
- Unizin Consortium 
- Indiana University 
- Illinois University 
- BCcampus 
- Books for languages 
- Rooney, Mick (2015-03-18). "PressBooks – Reviewed". The Independent Publishing Magazine. Retrieved 2019-10-08.
- "Crunchbase - Pressbooks". Crunchbase. Retrieved 2019-10-08.
- "BiblioBoard, Pressbooks partner on library-based self-publishing". The Bookseller. 2015-11-13. Retrieved 2019-10-08.
- McGrath, Taylor (2017). "2. Overview of Pressbooks". Library is the new publisher. Retrieved 2019-10-08.
- "Pressbooks - about". Retrieved 2019-10-08.
- "Pressbooks.org". Retrieved 2019-10-08.
- "How the University of Hawaii is solving today's higher ed problems". Opensource.com. February 3, 2017. Retrieved 2019-10-08.
- "UC Berkeley becomes first university to offer PressbooksEDU to entire campus community". Berkeley Library News. April 3, 2018. Retrieved 2019-10-08.
- "Pressbooks now available to eCampusOntario member institutions". eCampusOntario. April 3, 2018. Retrieved 2019-09-05.
- "Pressbooks Hosting through Unizin". Unizin Consortium. Retrieved 2019-09-05.
- "About Pressbooks at IU". Indiana University. Retrieved 2019-09-05.
- "Publishing in Pressbooks". Illinois Library. Retrieved 2019-09-05.
- "BC Open Textbooks". Retrieved 2019-09-05.
- "Books4Languages Open Textbooks". Retrieved 2019-09-10.