Cristian Portugués Manzanera (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈkɾistjam poɾtuˈɣez manθaˈneɾa];[a] born 21 May 1992), commonly known as Portu [ˈpoɾtu], is a Spanish professional footballer who plays for Real Sociedad as an attacking midfielder.
Born in Murcia, Portu was a product of Valencia CF's youth system. He made his senior debut with the reserves at only 17, going on to spend several seasons with the side in Segunda División B as well as one in Tercera División; in January 2012, he was called up by first-team manager Unai Emery due to a string of injuries.
Portu played his official game with the Che's main squad on 27 February 2014, coming on as a late substitute for fellow youth graduate Federico Cartabia in a 0–0 home draw against FC Dynamo Kyiv for the campaign's UEFA Europa League. His maiden appearance in La Liga came three days later, as he started and was booked in a 0–1 away loss to Rayo Vallecano.
On 11 July 2014, it was announced that Valencia sold Portu to Segunda División club Albacete Balompié with a buy-back option. He scored his first professional goals on 18 October, netting a brace but in a 2–3 defeat at CD Mirandés.
On 21 June 2016, after Alba's relegation, Portu signed a three-year deal with Girona FC also in the second tier. He scored eight goals (also providing eight assists) in his first season, helping to a first-ever top flight promotion.
Portu bettered that total to 11 the following campaign, as the Catalans easily retained their league status.
On 18 June 2019, Real Sociedad announced via their Twitter account that they had reached a preliminary agreement for the transfer of Portu for a fee of €10 million. The five-year contract was confirmed the same day.
- In isolation, Cristian and Portugués are pronounced [ˈkɾistjan] and [poɾtuˈɣes] respectively.
- "Emery se ve obligado a convocar a dos canteranos" [Emery is forced to call two youth players]. Diario AS (in Spanish). 21 January 2012. Retrieved 12 January 2017.
- "Valencia hold firm to end Dynamo hopes". UEFA. 27 February 2014. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "Larrivey fulmina el efecto Pizzi" [Larrivey obliterates Pizzi effect]. Marca (in Spanish). 2 March 2014. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "Portu ya es jugador del Albacete Balompié" [Portu is a new player of Albacete Balompié] (in Spanish). 5 Más El Descuento. 11 July 2014. Retrieved 3 August 2014.
- "Álex García se proclama héroe de Miranda" [Álex García proclaims himself as Miranda's hero]. Marca (in Spanish). 18 October 2014. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- "El Girona FC fitxa el migcampista Portu" [Girona sign midfielder Portu] (in Catalan). Girona FC. 21 June 2016. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- "Análisis del rival: Girona FC, novato y lleno de ilusión" [Opponent analysis: Girona FC, rookie and full of illusion] (in Spanish). Vavel. 14 October 2017. Retrieved 29 October 2017.
- Thorogood, Tom (3 April 2018). "Signing 11-goal playmaker Portu should be no-brainer for Newcastle United this summer". HITC. Retrieved 7 June 2018.
- "Principio de acuerdo para el traspaso de Portu" [Agreement in principle for transfer of Portu] (in Spanish). Real Sociedad. 18 June 2019. Retrieved 19 June 2019.
- "OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Preliminary agreement with @GironaFC for the transfer of @portu #OngiEtorriPortu #RealSociedad". Twitter. 18 June 2019. Retrieved 19 June 2019.
- "Real Sociedad sign Portu from Girona". beIN Sports. 18 June 2019. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Portu". Soccerway. Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- Portu at ESPN FC
- "Portu » Club matches". Worldfootball. Retrieved 20 January 2018.