Njandukalude Nattil Oridavela
Njandukalude Nattil Oridavela (English: An Intermission In the Land of Crabs) is a 2017 Indian Malayalam-language dramedy film directed and co-written by Althaf Salim. It stars Nivin Pauly, Shanthi Krishna, Lal, Aishwarya Lekshmi, and Ahaana Krishna. The film is based on writer Chandramathi's memoirs of the same name, which narrates her long fight with cancer. Co-written by George Kora, the film was produced by Nivin. Njandukalude Nattil Oridavela released on 1 September 2017.. Shanthi Krishna won several awards including Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress – Malayalam. Also, Srinda Arhaan won the Asianet Film Award for Best Supporting Actor - Female for this film in 2017
Sheela Chacko (Shanthi Krishna) has a doubt that she is developing cancer after finding a lump on her body. She discloses this to her husband Chacko (Lal) and they contact their eldest son Kurien Chacko (Nivin Pauly), settled in London, and force him to come back home, still without disclosing the secret. Kurien misunderstands that it was his marriage matter.
Chacko and Sheela decide to go for a checkup at Dr. Saiju (Saiju Kurup)'s oncology clinic at Aster Medcity in Kochi, where Dr. Saiju tells them to come back after a few days when the results are available. Meanwhile, Kurien meets his old friend Subbu (Krishna Shankar) with whom he planned a supermarket chain but Subbu ending up being a supermarket owner on his own. A few days later, Dr. Saiju tells Sheela that she has Stage II breast cancer, but there isn't a problem and she can undergo chemotherapy. They realise they have to disclose the matter to the whole family, including Kurien, daughters Sarah (Ahaana Krishna) and Mary (Srinda Arhaan), and son-in-law Tony Edayady (Siju Wilson).
Everybody in the family goes gloomy and they agree for chemotherapy sessions including a lump removal surgery. In one of the chemotherapy sessions, as Chacko was petrified about going with Sheela, Kurien goes instead and there he meets Rachel in a funny situation. They then get to know each other and also that they have similar situations.
They meet occasionally and Rachel tricks Kurien by asking whether he wants to be her boyfriend. Kurien agrees but then he comes to know that she just tricked him and decides not to marry. Meanwhile, Sheela starts losing her hair as a side effect. So, she trims her head and temporarily quits her lecturing job. So, they decide to conduct Sara's engagement. At that occasion, Sara asks if Sheela has the confidence to go through the disease. Then Kurien explains a story about her during the Gulf War in 1990. Iraqi soldiers invaded Kuwait and they somehow escape to India via Jordan without her confidence going down even by a little bit.
One day, she develops a fever and the children take her to the hospital thinking it as serious. But, she comes out fine and Kurien goes to home alone where 'Appachan' (Grandfather) was alone. He asks for a piece of orange but as Kurien was obsessed with Lays, he decides to give him some Lays. As he bursts open the Lays packet, simultaneously the room blacks out with a deafening sound. 80-year-old Appappan dies instantly as his eardrum bursts. After that the family plans for a trip to Kodaikanal and when they reach there, Kurien gets a call from the doctor. He smiles after attending the call, signifying that Sheela has been cured of the disease. The following scenes show flashbacks where each family member cried behind closed doors, hiding their tears from Sheela. The last scene of the movie shows Kurien crying and when Sheela calls him, he wipes his tears and goes.
- Nivin Pauly as Kurien Chacko
- Shanthi Krishna as Sheela Chacko
- Lal as Chacko
- Aishwarya Lekshmi as Rachel
- Ahaana Krishna as Sarah Chacko
- Srinda Arhaan as Mary Tony
- Siju Wilson as Tony Edayady
- Krishna Shankar as Subbu
- Sharaf U Dheen as Yesudas
- Dileesh Pothan as Varkichan
- Saiju Kurup as Dr. Saiju
- George Kora as George
- K. L. Antony Kochi as Appappan
- Sidhartha Siva as Kurien's friend
- Omana Ouseph as Tony's mother
- Akshay Ramesh as Guy caught watching it.
Director Salim co-wrote the film with George Kora. Principal photography of the film began on 25 September 2016. Mukesh Muraleedharan was the cinematographer. The film is inspired from author Chandramathi's book of the same name, about her cancer survival. Salim calls the film a dramedy, because it is "a family drama that deals with a pertinent social issue but told with lots of humour. That's why we like to call the film a dramedy". The film marks Shanthi Krishna's return to acting after a 19-year hiatus.
Justin Varghese has composed the music and background score in his feature film debut.
|1.||"Enthaavo"||Santhosh Varma||Sooraj Santhosh||3:54|
|2.||"Nanavere"||Santhosh Varma||Tessa Chavara, Vipin Lal||4:22|
The film was a financial success. The film grossed around ₹20 crore from Kerala box office. The film collected ₹23.72 lakh (US$34,000) in its two weekends from Chennai box office. The film collected $33,825 and $667,344 from UK and UAE box office respectively from its first weekend. 
- "Mollywood in 2017: Top Malayalam movies that earned big at Kerala box office this year". International Business Times. 20 December 2017.
- "Nivin Pauly's 'Njandukalude Nattil Oridavela' to be an Onam release". The News Minute. 4 July 2017. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- "Njandukalude Nattil Oridavela, Nivin's next - Times of India".
- Nagarajan, Saraswathy (6 September 2017). "'I am trying not to repeat myself'". The Hindu. Retrieved 3 May 2018.
- Sathyendran, Nita (31 August 2017). "One for all and all for one". The Hindu. Retrieved 3 May 2018.
- "Shanthi Krishna is back in Mollywood". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- "Justin Varghese composes for Nivin Pauly's next - Times of India".
- "Nivin Pauly's Njandukalude Nattil Oridavela: audience review..." Malayala Manorama. 1 September 2017.
- "Nivin joins hands with Premam actor". www.deccanchronicle.com/. 31 August 2017. Retrieved 1 September 2017.
- "Nivin Pauly emerges winner at Onam box office". Sify. 9 September 2017.
- "Nivin Pauly emerges winner at Onam race". The News Minute. 13 September 2017.
- "Njandukalude Naattil Oridavela box office". Behindwoods. 13 September 2017.
- "Njandukalude Naattil Oridavela box office". Box Office Mojo. 13 September 2017.