"Laligera" (stylized in all upper case; English: "The Light Girl") is a song by Argentina singer Lali, released as the lead single from her upcoming fourth studio album. The song was released on October 10, 2019, on Lali's 28th birthday. The track was written by Lali, Rec808 and Gino the Ghost, along with its producers Rafael Arcaute, Federico Vindver and Ángel López.
Background and composition
"Laligera" is an infectious trap-pop song, which Lali defines as "heavier and stronger than any music [she has] done before". The empowering lyrics are about a girl who's independent and has the world in her hands. According to Lali, the song reflects a bit of where she comes from and where I grew up: a barrio in the south of Buenos Aires. In an interview with Remezcla, Lali said: "I grew up in a world with hard-working parents. We didn’t have a lot of money, but I had my dream".
The music video was filmed by Orco in the porteño neighborhood of Parque Patricios, where Lali was born. It shows her skating in a basketball court and hanging out with a group of dancers. Artistic roller skating was the discipline Lali practised as a little girl, which allowed her to show her talent to an audience for the very first time. The clip also features cameos by Gimena Accardi and Candela Vetrano.
Laligera: Desde Cero
On October 25, 2019, Lali released a six-minute documentary wih exclusive behind-the-scenes footage of the music video. The documentary, which was described as "a trip to Lali's childhood and beginnings", shows the singer's life beyond her artistic life. In Lali's words, "I wanted to go deeper into my roots, I didn't want it to be just a videoclip. It was important for me to make it from my most personal (and artistic) side".
Jessica Roiz of Billboard said that the song "further spotlights Lali's musical growth". E! Online's Billy Nilles praised the single by saying that "[it] finds Lali letting everyone know there's no stopping her over a slick beat".
|Argentina (Argentina Hot 100)||24|
|Argentina Airplay (Monitor Latino)||4|
|Argentina Latin Airplay (Monitor Latino)||3|
|Argentina National Songs (Monitor Latino)||1|
- Nilles, Billy (11 October 2019). "The MixtapE! Presents Harry Styles, Jennifer Lopez and More New Music Musts". E! Online. Retrieved 7 November 2019.
- Roiz, Jessica (10 October 2019). "What's Your Favorite Lali Music Video? Vote!". Billboard. Retrieved 31 October 2019.
- Villa, Lucas (21 October 2019). "Meet Lali Espósito, the Argentine Pop Star with a Telenovela Past". Remezcla. Retrieved 7 November 2019.
- "Lali vuelve al barrio en "LALIGERA", su nuevo single y video: Mirá". Billboard Argentina (in Spanish). 11 October 2019. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- "Lali Esposito presentó el documental de Laligera: mirá el video". Clarín (in Spanish). 28 October 2019. Retrieved 7 November 2019.
- "Chart Search: Lali, Billboard Argentina Hot 100, LALIGERA". Billboard. Retrieved 7 November 2019.
- "Top 20 Argentina – General – Del 21 al 27 de Octubre, 2019" (in Spanish). Monitor Latino. Retrieved 31 October 2019.
- "Top 20 Argentina – Latino – Del 21 al 27 de Octubre, 2019" (in Spanish). Monitor Latino. Retrieved 31 October 2019.
- "Top 20 Argentina – Nacional – Del 21 al 27 de Octubre, 2019" (in Spanish). Monitor Latino. Retrieved 31 October 2019.