Kyle Smith (American football)
Kyle Smith (born October 15, 1984) is an American football executive for the Washington Redskins. Prior to becoming an executive, he played college football as a wide receiver at Youngstown State University before spending some time in the National, Arena, and Canadian Football Leagues. He originally joined the Redskins as a regional scout in 2011. Smith is the son of former NFL general manager A. J. Smith.
The son of former San Diego Chargers general manager A. J. Smith, Kyle Smith was born in Warwick, Rhode Island on October 15, 1984. Smith grew in the Buffalo metropolitan area as his father was an scout with the Buffalo Bills during the 1980s and 1990s, later attending and playing wide receiver for Saint Francis High School. He was a team captain as a junior and senior, being named an All-Western New York selection during the latter. He finished his high school career as the team's leader in career receiving yards (1,904), career receptions (132) and single-season catches (56). Smith also played basketball and ran track and field for the school, winning a title as a part of the 4 × 400 metres relay team.
Following high school, he received a full scholarship to attend Youngstown State University, playing football for the Youngstown State Penguins. He finished his career there with 101 career receptions, 1,536 receiving yards, 56 punt returns, and 377 return yards. As a junior in 2004, he was selected as the team's most outstanding offensive player, and was named the team's MVP, as well as an All-Gateway Football Conference honorable mention, as a senior the following year. He also played in the 2006 Hula Bowl.
Smith was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Minnesota Vikings in 2006, but was released prior to training camp. He later signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in January 2007, where they reassigned him to the Berlin Thunder of NFL Europe. He then returned to the Buccaneers later that year, but was released prior to the regular season. He later spent some time with the Georgia Force and Arizona Rattlers of the Arena Football League in 2008, and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League in 2009.
In 2010, Smith joined the Washington Redskins as a scouting intern. He was hired full-time by the team the in June 2011, being put in charge of the southeast region. He worked with his father A. J. during this period, who served as a consultant for the team from 2013–2015. Smith was promoted to director of college scouting in June 2017, where he had major influence in the team's NFL Draft selections during the late 2010s. Smith was further promoted to vice president of player personnel in January 2020, which made him the highest-ranking member of the team's personnel department in evaluating both collegiate and professional players.
- Skurski, Jay (January 14, 2019). "Kyle Smith, son of former Bills exec, goes from St. Francis to NFL scouting director". BuffaloNews.com. Archived from the original on January 14, 2020. Retrieved January 14, 2020.
- Keim, John (June 30, 2017). "Kyle Smith followed father A.J.'s path to key role in Redskins' front office". ESPN. Archived from the original on January 14, 2020. Retrieved January 5, 2020.
- Lambert, Ivan (December 10, 2019). "Kyle Smith: Is the Future Now?". SI.com. Archived from the original on January 14, 2020. Retrieved January 14, 2020.
- "Young NFL talent heads to Europe". oursportscentral.com. February 23, 2007. Archived from the original on January 14, 2020. Retrieved January 14, 2020.
- "Former Penguin Kyle Smith Signs With Winnipeg Blue Bombers". ysusports.com. February 26, 2009. Archived from the original on January 14, 2020. Retrieved January 14, 2020.
- "Washington Redskins: Kyle Smith". Redskins.com. Archived from the original on March 1, 2012. Retrieved January 20, 2020.
- Carpenter, Les (January 13, 2020). "Redskins continue front-office makeover by promoting Kyle Smith to VP of player personnel". Washington Post. Archived from the original on January 14, 2020. Retrieved January 14, 2020.