Jassy Tamar Husk
Jassy Tamar Husk (born June 6, 1982) is an Australian Soprano and contemporary classical artist. In her youth she won several competitions and was awarded a scholarship to attend the Royal College of Music in 2003 from where she graduated with a Graduate Diploma in Performance and a Postgraduate Diploma in Vocal Performance in 2005. Jassy then joined the British Youth Opera in 2005, where she performed Romeo and Juliet, Gounod, Cosi fan tutte – Mozart.Jassy has worked with the world’s most significant conductors, coaches, and performers, including: Dame Kiri Te Kanawa, Dennis O’Neill CBE, Richard Bonynge Order of Australia CBE, Gerald Martin Moore, Richard Miller and David Gowland.
Jassy Husk was born in Hobart, Tasmania, to British parents and attended The Friends’ School in the suburb of North Hobart. She was named after the Tamar river in Tasmania. She spent part of her childhood in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Jassy’s talent meant she left school early, condensing her Tasmanian Certificate of Education into one year after she received a position at the Tasmanian conservatory of Music in 2000, studying with Marylin Smith.
In 2010, she joined English National Opera as part of the ENO Opera Works programme. In the same year, Jassy performed at the Sydney Opera House and London Coliseum. In 2013 to 2016 Jassy attended the Wales International Academy of Voice where she received a Masters degree with Distinction, studying under Dennis O’Neill CBE, OStJ, Hon RAM, D.Mus., Director of the Wales International Academy of Voice, University of Wales, Trinity Saint David.
Jassy Husk is notable for a bright, dramatic voice with a natural warmth, passion and golden tone. The Welsh Tenor Dennis O’Neill CBE describes her voice as being “outstanding in quality with high levels of musicianship and dramatic insight”. Jassy’s voice suits roles demanding a bright, powerful timbre, agility and precision, with a rich, dramatic line.The versatility of her singing means her vocal sound suits a range of musical genres. The film soundtracks she performed on, such as The Hobbit and Snow White and the Huntsman, require not only a versatile and unique voice type, but also the ability to sight read. The natural vibration of her voice lends itself to studio recording. She was invited to collaborate with Pete Tong, MBE, on his UK No.1 Album Classic House. In comparison, operatic roles like Tosca, which she performed with Paul Potts, demand the actor’s craft of interpretation.
- 2012 Snow White and the Huntsman
- 2019 Opera Sark
- 2018 Elisa, Il re pastore, People's Opera, Singapore
- 2018 Soloist Opera at the Flower Dome, Singapore
- 2016 Tosca, Tosca, Opera in the Gardens
- 2016 Conductor, Celgene
- 2016 Soloist Gala w/ Yvonne Howard & Mark Llewellyn Evans,
- 2015 Soloist Gala w/ Yvonne Howard & Mark Llewellyn Evans,
- 2014 Maria Lord, The Bushranger’s Lover – D.Kay, Premier
- 2013-14 Opera Gala soloist, Asia Group China
- 2013 Soprano Messiah arr. Mozart, Darwin S O
- 2013 Mozart Gala, Culture-Arts Dordogne
- 2013 Annina/ Violetta (Cover), La traviata – Verdi
- 2013 Micaela Carmen – Bizet, Regency Opera
- 2013 Penseroso, L'Allegro, il Penseroso ed il Moderato,
- 2013 Semele Semele – Handel, Jackdaws Trust
- 2013 Semele Semele – Handel, London Early Opera
- 2013 Soprano Leçons de ténèbres – Couperin, Vauxhall St Peter’s
- 2012 Soprano Messiah (HWV 56) – Handel, London Early Opera
- 2012 Soprano Messiah (HWV 56) – Handel, Handel House Harmony
- 2012 Soprano Gloria – Handel, London Early Opera
- 2012 Galatea Acis and Galatea – Handel, London Early Opera
- 2012 Soprano (cover) Jakob Lenz – Rhim, English National Opera
- 2011 Telaire (cover) Castor and Pollux – Rameau, English National Opera
- 2011 Gala Concert Die Fledermaus – Strauss, Clonter Opera
- 2011 Pamina The Magic Flute – Mozart, UTAS Australia
- 2011 Sophie excerpts Der Rosenkavalier – Strauss, ENO Opera Works
- 2011 Drusilla, The Coronation of Poppea - Monteverdi, OperaUpClose
- 2010 Susannah excerpts, The Marriage of Figaro, ENO Opera Works
- 2009 Fidelio – Beethoven, Garsington Opera
- 2008 Zerlina cover, chorus Don Giovanni – Mozart, English Touring Opera
- Soloist with Beatfreakz, a Dutch house music group.
Tracks: Superfreak, reaching No.7 in UK singles chart
- Soloist with Pete Tong, MBE on the album Classic House, a collaboration with Heritage Orchestra, Jules Buckley, and Pete Tong. This reaching No 1 in the UK Album Chart.
- Soloist with Young Punx, and English-based electronic dance music group
Tracks: O Mio Babbino Caro; Your Music Is Killing Me
- "Jassy Husk". Discogs. Retrieved 8 October 2019.
- hermes (3 July 2018). "The Opera People debuts with update of Mozart's Il Re Pastore". The Straits Times. Retrieved 8 October 2019.
- "Opera lovers set to make a scene". www.bostonstandard.co.uk. Retrieved 8 October 2019.
- Maconchy, Elizabeth. "INDEPENDENT OPERA at Sadler's Wells" (PDF). independent opera. Retrieved 8 October 2019.
- "Spring 08 programme" (PDF). English touring opera Spring 2008. Retrieved 8 October 2019.
- Moore, Peter. "Chandos Records Limited GB" (PDF). Chandos Opera in English. Retrieved 8 October 2019.
- "Classical Singing 2010" (PDF). Sydney Eisteddfod. Retrieved 9 October 2019.
- Aspden, Suzanne (2018). Operatic Geographies. University of Chicago Press. ISBN 9780226596013.
- "Jassy's back in town". www.themercury.com.au. 18 April 2014. Retrieved 8 October 2019.
- "Fidelio, Grand Theatre, LeedsThe Coronation of Poppea, King's". The Independent. 24 April 2011. Retrieved 8 October 2019.
- Ravenhill, Mark (27 March 2011). "Good grief, what bad language!". The Sunday Times. ISSN 0956-1382. Retrieved 8 October 2019.
- "BBC Radio Guernsey - Eliza Philippidis". BBC. Retrieved 8 October 2019.
- "James Newton Howard - Snow White & The Huntsman (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) FLAC download". flac albums download - flac.rattaprofid.ee. Retrieved 8 October 2019.
- LONDONMUSIKALER. "LondonMusikaler - Tosca - Chiswick House & Gardens". www.londonmusikaler.no (in Norwegian). Retrieved 8 October 2019.
- "Visiting Sark for the Opera Festival - Exploring Sark, Channel Islands". Retrieved 13 October 2019.
- "Sark Opera 2019 | Sark Island Tourism". Sark Island | Sark Tourism & Island Holidays. 9 September 2019. Retrieved 8 October 2019.
- "Our Players - London Early Opera | London Early Opera". Retrieved 8 October 2019.
- "Album Classic House, Pete Tong | Qobuz: download and streaming in high quality". Qobuz. Retrieved 9 October 2019.
- Jassy Husk – official site
- Jassy Tamar Husk discography at Discogs
- Jassy Husk on Deezer
- Jassy Husk Interview on Vimeo.com
- Jassy Husk on Spotify