Claire Hafner (born April 23, 1977) is a Canadian professional boxer and Opera singer. She challenged once for the WBO light heavyweight title in October 2019. As of October 2019, she is ranked as the world’s fourth best active female heavyweight by BoxRec.
She Began her career as an amateur boxer in 2013. She won multiple tournaments in her amateur days including Ringside World Championships, and was the silver medalist in the 2016 Canadian Championships. She made her professional boxing debut May 2017 against Annie Mazerolle. After a majority decision win over Mazerolle, they had a rematch in August 2017. Mazerolle won the rematch by split decision. Hafner ended her 2017 with a win over Mexican boxer Claudia Ramirez. Hafner did not fight for nine months, but she returned to fight a top ranked American boxer Sonja Fox for the American Boxing Organisation (ABO) American female heavyweight title. Hafner won the tough bout by majority decision. At this time negotiations started for the potential world title fight against Geovana Peres. Hafner took nine months away from the ring but returned on June 2019. This time she took on former World title contender Carlette Ewell for the Universal National Boxing Council (UNBC) American female heavyweight title. Hafner won the bout with ease almost winning every round. After winning this fight she received multiple world ranking spots including second in the WBA, fourth in the WBC, and first on Boxrec.
World title shot
On the 5 May 2019, Bruce Glozier announced that he was in negotiations for Geovana Peres' first world title defence against Claire Hafner. It was announced on 30 July that the fight was made official and will happen on 4 October at Sky City Convention Centre in Auckland, New Zealand. Hafner arrived in Auckland on the 30 September and met Geovana Peres on 1 October at Cheltenham beach for a photo shoot. The two met again at the weigh-in on 3 October at Sammy’s on the Gaming floor at the SKy City Casino. Before the event fight started, Hafner performed the Canadian national anthem before competing against Geovana Peres. The referee stopped the fight between the eighth and ninth round of the fight.
- American Boxing Organisation (ABO) American female heavyweight title (184 Ibs)
- Universal National Boxing Council (UNBC) American female heavyweight title (190¼ Ibs)
Professional boxing record
|Professional record summary|
|6 fights||4 wins||2 losses|
|6||Lose||4–2||Geovana Peres||TKO||8 (10), 3:00||Oct 4, 2019||Skycity Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand||For WBO light heavyweight title|
|5||Win||4–1||Carlette Ewell||UD||8||Jun 15, 2019||Benton Convention Center, Winston-Salem, North Carolina, U.S.||Won Universal National Boxing Council American female heavyweight title|
|4||Win||3–1||Sonja Fox||MD||6||Sep 29, 2018||4 Bears Casino & Lodge, New Town, North Dakota, U.S.||Won American Boxing Organisation American female heavyweight title|
|3||Win||2–1||Claudia Ramirez||UD||4||Oct 25, 2017||Lac Leamy Casino, Gatineau, Quebec, Canada|
|2||Lose||1–1||Annie Mazerolle||SD||6||Aug 19, 2017||Festival Arena, Shediac, New Brunswick, Canada|
|1||Win||1–0||Annie Mazerolle||MD||4||May 27, 2017||Aitken Centre, Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada|
- "Canadian boxer to sing national anthem at her title match against adopted Kiwi". TVNZ. Retrieved October 8, 2019.
- "BoxRec: Ratings". boxrec.com. Retrieved October 13, 2019.
- "Claire Hafner to fight Geovana Peres on October 4th for WBO Title". Women Boxing. Retrieved October 8, 2019.
- "Shootout In Fredericton: Brewer Defeats Davidson". The fight city. Retrieved October 8, 2019.
- "Boxing event taking over New Town this weekend". KFYR TV. Retrieved October 8, 2019.
- "GEOVANA PERES WILL DEFEND HER WORLD TITLE AGAINST CANADIAN BOXER". New Zealand Fighter. Retrieved October 8, 2019.
- "World Boxing Association August 2019 rankings" (PDF). WBA. Retrieved October 8, 2019.
- "World Boxing Council September 2019 rankings" (PDF). WBC. Retrieved October 8, 2019.
- "Geovana Peres will defend her World title against Canadian Boxer". Women Boxing. Retrieved October 8, 2019.
- "Geovana Peres eyes Canadian boxer for world title defence in Auckland". Stuff NZ. Retrieved October 8, 2019.
- "Boxing: Kiwi Geovana Peres to defend WBO title against Canadian Claire Hafner". New Zealand Herald. Retrieved October 8, 2019.
- "Boxing: Canadian star arrives for WBO Light Heavyweight title shot against Geovana Peres". New Zealand Herald. Retrieved October 8, 2019.
- "Geovana Peres vs Claire Hafner Weigh in". Gladrap. Retrieved October 8, 2019.
- "Boxing: Kiwi Geovana Peres retains WBO light heavyweight world title". Newshub. Retrieved October 8, 2019.
- "Claire Hafner". BoxRec. Retrieved October 8, 2019.