C. J. Moore
Calvin J. "C.J." Moore (born December 15, 1995) is an American football safety for the Detroit Lions of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for the Ole Miss Rebels.
Early life and high school
Moore was born and grew up in Bassfield, Mississippi and attended Bassfield High School. He played both linebacker and quarterback for the Yellowjackets. As a senior, Moore made 32 tackles (four for loss) and 3 interceptions on defense and passed for 1,194 yards and 15 touchdowns, while rushing for 318 yards and 13 touchdowns on offense as Bassfield went 15-1 and won the Class 2A state championship.
Moore was a member of the Ole Miss Rebels for five seasons, playing on special teams and as a reserve defensive back for his first two seasons before missing his junior season due to a torn pectoral muscle in training camp. He became a starter for the Rebels during his redshirt junior, making 51 tackles and leading the team with three interceptions and received the 2018 Chucky Mullins Courage Award. Moore began his redshirt senior season as Ole Miss's starting safety before suffering a second season-ending torn pectoral muscle after five games.
Moore signed with the Detroit Lions as an undrafted free agent on May 10, 2019. He made his NFL Debut on September 8, 2019 against the Arizona Cardinals, playing exclusively on special teams and making one tackle.
Moore has an identical twin brother, A. J. Moore, who was also a defensive back on the Ole Miss football team and now plays for the Houston Texans. They played in the same defensive backfield for the Rebels.
- "Twin Rebels Bring Athleticism to Defense". HottyToddy.com. February 5, 2014. Retrieved September 16, 2019.
- Gray, Jeff (August 17, 2016). "How C.J. Moore's torn pectoral affects Ole Miss' safety depth". RedCupRebellion.com. SB Nation. Retrieved September 10, 2019.
- Potter, David (April 7, 2018). "Ole Miss' C.J. Moore recipient of Chucky Mullins Courage Award". The Oxford Eagle. Retrieved September 10, 2019.
- Spencer, Adam (October 2, 2018). "Ole Miss loses S C.J. Moore for the season due to torn pectoral muscle". SaturdayDownSouth.com. Retrieved September 10, 2019.
- "Lions sign 13 undrafted rookie free agents". DetroitLions.com. May 10, 2019. Retrieved September 8, 2019.
- Raven, Benjamin (September 9, 2019). "Snap counts: Lions Frank Ragnow returns to play every offensive snap on OL in Week 1 tie". MLive.com. Retrieved September 10, 2019.
- Morales, Antonio (September 8, 2017). "The Moore twins, A.J. and C.J., have taken a long route to Ole Miss' starting lineup". The Clarion Ledger. USAToday.com. Retrieved September 8, 2019.